Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Homemade Tortillas

I decided awhile ago to start making my own food in the kitchen whenever I could. I am trying to get my family to eat more whole foods and more foods without all the artificial ingredients in them. So I decided to try my hand at making tortillas. I figured that would be something I could definitely do.
I have been looking for a tortilla press but didn't have any luck at my local stores. Luckily my dad is a woodworker and so I just asked him to make me one after I saw a tutorial online. It didn't take him very long at all... This one is actually my moms. It makes 8 inch tortillas. Dad is going to make me one that makes 10 inch tortillas. 

They were super simple to make. I just mixed the corn flour with water until it formed a dough. Then I cut it into 16 pieces. I basically followed the instructions on the back of the bag of corn flour. I think I will cut less pieces next time though because the tortillas came out really small. J helped me roll all the pieces into balls. Then you just cover the press with plastic wrap (I used a ziplock bag), put a ball of dough in it and press down on the handle. 

Out comes a flat, round, corn tortilla. I was so excited cuz it was really easy. Afterward you just cook them in a skillet for about a minute on each side. Fill them with your favorite fillings and enjoy your tacos/burritos whatever you want to make!!! I filled mine with eggs and spinach cuz it was breakfast time. Delicious!!  :)

What is your favorite thing to make from scratch?

1 comment:

Zippi Kit said...

I love to make bread but don't anymore but I still like to make tortillas. I was taught how to roll them out starting with my hands and finishing with pulling, patting and stretching them into shape while twirling in the air and patting around the edges. Your press is great! You have a very handy Dad! Much easier to do. Lovely!